Tooth extraction is a definitely unpleasant procedure. But a possible complication after it called Dry Socket might be much worse. Keep on reading to learn what it Dry Socket, its symptoms, causes and ways to prevent it.
What is Dry Socket?
Dry Socket is what happens in the hole where a tooth was extracted from when a protective blood clot that formed becomes dislodged and leaves nerves and bones exposed to open air, food, and fluid, causing an uncomfortable, painful sensation.
Symptoms of Dry Socket
Symptoms of Dry Socket can include:
- The extraction site being white and dry,
- Severe pain that works its way from the site of the extraction to your ear,
- Bad breath,
- Bad taste in your mouth.
The causes of Dry Socket
The causes of Dry Socket can vary from smoking, poor oral hygiene, and using certain medications such as birth control to severe trauma around the period of extractions, pulled wisdom teeth, and if you have a history of Dry Socket from previous extractions. Other causes can include frequent rinsing and spitting and drinking through a straw after an extraction. If you experience any of these symptoms after an extraction, contact Your Dental Office to get the relief you need.
How to prevent Dry SocketDry Socket can easily be prevented before and after your surgery if you follow the following tips:
• Ask about having the extraction done while you are on your lowest estrogen dose of birth control pills
• Check with your dentist concerning any other medications that you may take that could affect your blood clotting normally
• Avoid smoking in the few days following the extraction
• Don't drink out of a straw immediately following your extraction
• Don't rinse your mouth out any more than your dentist recommends, and any time you do rinse, do so gently so as not to disturb your socket
To learn more about Dry Socket, how to treat it, and how to prevent it, contact us here at Your Dental Office in Toronto and we'll be happy to answer all of your questions. Also, don't forget to get in touch with us to book your appointment for extraction, cleanings, and all of your other dental needs!